Thursday, November 6, 2014

Loaded Nachos

As a tribute to Nacho Day - fully loaded Nachos for dinner!





Who doesn't enjoy snacking on nachos while watching a game or movie?  Whether you enjoy scooping up yummy salsa or a cream cheese dip, we all love these little dippers. At our house, we love having nachos on the weekend for a quick lunch.  Typically they are sprinkled with salsa and grated cheese, heated in the oven and served, but in honour of Nacho Day, I wanted to step up the game by loading them with lots of toppers to make them a satisfying dinner.



I'm sharing with you how I made mine with the ingredients I had on hand, but really, these crispy little gems are just begging to be topped with any of your favourites.   Switch out the meat to ground chicken or turkey, shred up chicken from a rotisserie chicken from your local grocery.  Leftover pulled pork on hand - that would be delish.

I began by frying ground beef along with one chopped onion and some chopped red pepper, seasoned with 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning mix. If you prefer spicier, use the whole package of seasoning mix. As I am not a fan of very spicy foods, I found that 1 tablespoon was enough flavor and heat for me.  When the beef was cooked, I drained off the grease and added 3 tablespoons of salsa to the mixture to keep the meat moist.



While that was cooking away on the stove, I prepared the other ingredients putting them into small bowls and lined them all up on the counter as part of my assembly station.  I crammed as many nachos in a single layer on a large cookie sheet as I could fit on.  I chose to use the large restaurant style nachos so there was more surface to pile on the goodies.

Then it was simply a matter of adding a small amount of each ingredient on top of each nacho - lettuce, grated cheese, meat mixture, a little more cheese, green chilis, chopped fresh tomato and chopped green onion.

I have never acquired a taste for olives, but they would work well too.

Then pop in a 350°F oven for 5 - 8 minutes until the cheese is melted and everything is warm.  Serve up with sour cream.


I was a little nervous that having chowed down on these babies my husband would still be hungry.   As much as we tried to eat the whole tray, we only managed to polish off half.  Leftovers for lunch - YAY!!
I would love to hear what fixings you used.



Loaded Nachos

by notjustgrilledcheese
Keywords: appetizer Super Bowl

Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 red pepper, chopped
  • 1-2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
  • jarred salsa
  • 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (more as needed)
  • 1/2 cup lettuce, cut into fine ribbons
  • 1 can green chilies
  • 1 tomato chopped
  • 3 green onions, chopped
  • sliced olives (optional)
  • sour cream
Instructions
 
In a frying pan over medium heat, scramble fry ground beef, onion and red pepper until meat is fully cooked. Season with 1 - 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix and cook for a few minutes more. Drain fat. Add 3 tablespoons salsa and stir to combine.
 
Prepare the other ingredients.
 
Line a cookie tray with nachos in a single layer. Top each nacho with lettuce, cheese, small amount of meat mixture, a little more cheese, green chillies, chopped tomato, chopped green onion and olives.
 
Bake in a preheated 350°F for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted.
 
Add dollops of sour cream if desired.
Powered by Recipage
 

 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment